Selección de Ostatu 2016
The most airy vineyard. Tempranillo and Graciano from a vineyard of more than 50 years located in the eastern part of Samaniego, as "Montecillo", where the wind has a higher impact. 14 months just aging in the barrel and 20 more polishing in a bottle give us a wine characterized by its freshness and personality.
Winegrowers & winemakers
Wine-maker: Iñigo Sáenz de Samaniego. Vineyard management: Iñigo Sáenz de Samaniego and Ernesto Sáenz de Samaniego
D.O.C Rioja, Sub-zone Rioja Alavesa
Vintage & Classification
17,949 bottles ( 75 cl) / 589 magnum (150 cl)
Select an option:
- Intense red with dark purple highlights.
- Aromas of ripe red and black fruit, spicy sweet and creamy balsamic signs , light sweet touch. Great personality of the tempranillo and evocations of the French oak.
- In the mouth it marks an intense fruit with a good point of acidity and freshness.
- Sweet and soften tannin. Great liveliness and tasty acidity, profuse in the expression of the fruit.
- Wine-maker Sáenz de Samaniego Family. Vineyard management Sáenz de Samaniego Family.
- 92% Tempranillo and 8% Graciano
- Vineyards from Samaniego’s eastern and airy area and over 60 years old.
- Plantation density: 3.000 vines/hectare.
- Goblet pruning.
- Production: 5,000 kg/hectare.
- Hand harvested, in 15 Kg boxes, between October 17th and 23th.
- The grapes come from some of our eastern vineyards located in the “Montecillo” area, at an average altitude of 580 m above sea level.
- Poor calcareous/clay and stony soils, on south facing slopes.
- The subsoil is made up of various layers of white rock.
- Vineyard grape selection, only the best grapes, with the best health and ripening parameters, are taken to the winery.
- Light destemming process to avoid damaging the grapes.
- Cold pre-fermentative maceration.
- Alcoholic fermentation in small oak vats for 18 days at a maximum temperature of 27°C.
- Reworking and breaking up the cap as appropriate during the fermentation.
- 70% malolactic fermentation in new French oak casks and 14 months cask ageing in new and second use’s ones.
- Bottled: September 2018
- This wine does not undergo any stabilisation process.
Mediterranean climate with strong Atlantic influence. Extreme winter-summer contrast.
- Precipitation: 463,2 litres
- Ave. Temp.: min 8,14ºC, max 18,37ºC, average 12.88ºC
- Rainy days: 105
- Frozy mornings: 13
- Soil Ave. Temp.: 14.46ºC
You might also like
The highest vineyard. Made with Tempranillo and Viura from "El Portillo", planted at 630m of altitude. A facing south slope protected by small foothills of the Cantabria mountain range. A wine...Price €27.00
The oldest vineyard. Made from grapes from our oldest and beloved vineyard, "Revillas". Low production but high quality plot that makes possible a fleshy and concentrated wine, with a great...Price €41.50